Home > Management Studio, SQL Bugs, SQLServer, SQLServer 2005, SQLServer 2008, SQLServer 2008 R2, SQLServer 2012 > Index was outside the bounds of the array. (Microsoft.SqlServer.Smo) – SQL Server ‘Denali’

Today morning, I read a post on Pinal’s blog. I tried to reproduce the issue, but was unable to do so. Instead, I ran into a different error:

image

However, this does not stop you from connecting.

image

You can see from the screen shot that I was able to connect to the Instance, despite the error message. Also, I can access the data without any issues.

image

I was a bit curious and also tried this on SSMS 2005. And guess what, the same error appears there:

4. Error From SSMS 2005

But the consequences are more “SEVERE” in SSMS 2005. You can access the Database, execute queries against it without any issues.

However, the Object Explorer tree does not expand.

5. Cannot Expand From Object Explorer

Connect Feedback Item : https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/details/666386/index-was-outside-the-bounds-of-the-array-microsoft-sqlserver-smo-while-connecting-from-ssms-2005-2008

Hope This Helps!

Vishal

If you like this post, do like my Facebook Page -> SqlAndMe
EMail me your questions -> Vishal@SqlAndMe.com
Follow me on Twitter -> @SqlAndMe

Advertisements
  1. May 3, 2011 at 9:49 pm

Hi Vishal,

Thanks for blog post however, this is more like accident.

Thanks again, and keep up good work.

2. Herme
    May 10, 2011 at 6:28 am

There is a fix for this – at least for SQL 2008 and SQL 2008 R2. It can be found here in this KB article:

3. July 6, 2011 at 1:10 pm

4. Raj
    February 25, 2013 at 12:44 am

this error to solve through 2008-r2 or 2012

5. Thak
    February 25, 2014 at 3:28 pm

It doesnt work for 10.0.1600.22 version, which is currently available on Microsoft site..
    SQLManagementStudio_x64_ENU.exe and it still have the same error.

6. Rob
    September 23, 2014 at 5:32 am

Index was outside the bounds of the array. Sorry didn’t put this down on first post

1. No trackbacks yet.